Southern Local Vision
Our vision of the future of Southern Local will place an emphasis on an education that involves students, teachers, parents, and the community. To work toward this end we will provide a safe, secure, accepting environment, and a curriculum that is student centered and challenging: all within a moral atmosphere.
Southern Local Mission
Our school district will work in partnership with the students, teachers, parents, business, and community to improve student academic performance to a level that allows them to be contributing members of society. Students will acquire, during time spent in our protected environment, the skills necessary for working, living, and learning in a technologically demanding world. We will also foster the development of self-reliance and social responsibility.
Southern Local School District has undergone significant changes since 1990 building assessment. In 1990 the District operated five schools. Number Sixteen Elementary School was a 8,998 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades K-4. Franklin Elementary School was a 7,500 s.f. 1923/1938/1950 building which they used for grades K-4. Highlandtown Elementary School was a 7,980 s.f. 1940 building which they used for grades 1-4. Southern Middle School was a 31,917 s.f. 1938 building which they used for grades 5-8. Southern Local High School was a 49,952 s.f. 1962 building which they used for grades 9-12.
In 1991, the District closed/sold Number Sixteen Elementary School and Franklin Elementary School.Highlandtown Elementary School had temporary modular classrooms placed on site, was renamed Southern Primary School and used for grades K-2. Southern Middle School was renamed Southern Intermediate School and used for grades 3-6.
In January of 2002 the Board of Education and Administrators braved the cold for a groundbreaking ceremony for the new K-12 complex. Construction for this new campus began in March of 2002.
Southern Local Primary School
Southern Local Primary School (7,980 s.f. K-2 building), formerly known as Highlandtown Elementary School, was constructed in 1953. 3,985 s.f. of temporary modular classrooms were replaced on-site in 1991. Two separate modular classrooms also existed on this site. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualifies for total building replacement. The probable costs for new construction/addition and reconstruction of the existing building exceed two-thirds of the cost. The choice then was made to replace the building with a new building.
Southern Local Intermediate
Southern Local Intermediate School (31,917 s.f. 3-6 building), formerly known as Southern Middle School was constructed in 1938. Due to costs associated with bringing this school up to the standards established by the Ohio School Facilities Commission, this school qualified for total building replacement, again the probable costs for new construction/addition and reconstruction of the existing building exceeded two-thirds of the cost to replace the buildings with a new building.
Southern Local Elementary
By January of 2004 all students and staff claimed ownership of the new Southern Local K-12 complex. Highlantown Elementary and Southern Middle School became Southern Local Elementary.